Apr 18, 2013

GLIDER MAKEOVER

My parents bought me this glider when I was pregnant with Jackson and I love it. I spent many late nights and long hours feeding babies in that chair. I wanted to update it a bit when I made over Elly's room. I thought about reupholstering it because I have seen a lot of examples on Pinterest... but I was feeling a little too lazy and unskilled to do that. So instead of getting frustrated with a project because it proved to be too hard or working several hours on it and then not liking the result... I just went to Pier 1 and figured I would make something work.
I unsnapped and unhooked the cushions and had to unscrew the buttons on the actual glider (you can see those on the insides of the arm rests). I filled those with putty and touched up the paint there. For the footstool, I bought a large foam piece and cut it to fit the top of the footstool. I then just covered some fabric over it and stapled and hot glued the fabric to the bottom of the stool. I found these cushions at Pier 1 along with the pillow (on clearance). I sewed on some gold ribbon to the top of the cushion to keep it from sliding down too much because it is a little shorter than the back of the glider. 
I did have to explain to my husband a little why I bought brand new YELLOW cushions to replace some other YELLOW cushions... but I just loved this mustard yellow so much more than the other cushions. The chair is so much brighter now.

16 comments:

  1. It looks so beautiful! I love the cushions. It looks so different now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! We have a similar glider that really needs to be recovered, but I didn't know how to deal with those snaps on the arm rests. This is such a fantastic solution. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing update!! Love how it looks so much more current now. I giggled when you said you had to explain the yellow cushion situation to your husband! Your mustard yellow, squared cushions look so fresh. DIY perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for sharing! My glider is 6 years old and I'm going to have a baby in October, it needs an update for sure! I love this idea! How much were the cushions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were about $30 each, but they were on clearance, I think they are normally around $40.

      Delete
  5. Looks so much more modern! Great makeover :)
    - Lora

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous! i like that you changed the whole cushion shape. much more modern and chic

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! It seems so peaceful and serene! It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great makeover! I love the pillow and the red fabric! I pinned this. I may need to makeover my glider soon...

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/04/submarine-sunday-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! It looks so much better with the new cushions and colours! Great job! Have a lovely week! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great makeoever! I love the updated look! We'll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts tomorrow, so pop on over if you have a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cute idea! I'm expecting right now and we just bought an older looking glider and this was a great post to read and get some great ideas from! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is such an awesome idea! I have this same glider and love it, but hate how old the cushions have gotten. I don't have good sewing skills and the thought of making piping is terrifying. Your cushion solutions is genius! I'll start looking around now for an inexpensive solution, since I'm so cheap. Seriously, this is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful--the ottoman is AMAZING! I laughed so hard when you said you had to explain to your husband about the yellow replacing yellow cushions! I can't tell you how many times I have those kinds of conversations with my husband ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...