Oct 10, 2012

inspirational wood art

I posted this a few weeks ago on Time Out For Women, and wanted to share it with you here. 
A few years ago, I listened to a very inspirational talk in general conference given by Elder Gary E. Stevenson of the First Quorum of the Seventy. In it, he asked us to take a virtual tour of our homes using our spiritual eyes. He asks, "As you walk through the rooms of your home, do you see uplifting images which include appropriate pictures of the temple and the Savior?" Ever since then, I have tried really hard put up lifting quotes or images in each of the rooms in my house. 

With three kids under the age of five, my home isn't always "neat and orderly." But when the temper tantrums rumble or as I am chasing my 3-year-old around the house trying to get some clothes on him, I know that I can go in to any room in my house and gently be reminded of the gospel in my life and what it means to my family. Those reminders often help me to put things in perspective.

One of my favorite reminders of peace and serenity is the temple. I used one of my favorite crafting methods of decoupaging images on wood, it's an easy and inexpensive way to create something that has special meaning to you. 
To make it:
1. Find an image of the temple you like (I took this picture while my husband and I were visiting Nauvoo recently). 
2. I wanted to make it look a little more antiqued, so I did this by uploading my photo to Picmonkey, and then clicking on the "textures" option and selected the "smudge" texture.
Original picture:
After smudge texture in Picmonkey:
3. Print your photo on thick card stock.
4. Cut a piece of wood the same size as your printed out photo, paint the piece of wood white. Let it dry.
5. Use a matte mod podge and spread glue on the piece of wood. Place the photo on top. Making sure to press down to get rid of any bubbles. Let it dry.
6. Use a coarse and fine grit sandpaper and sand the edges. 
7. Use brown paint to make the edges look a bit more antiqued. Let it dry.
8. Apply a very thin coat of mod podge on top of the photo to seal it. 
I also made this art work for my daughter's room. I used the same technique as above, but instead of the picture of the temple, I created this subway art in Powerpoint. There, I was able to create different text boxes and change the styles, colors and sizes of the different fonts. 

15 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! Now I'm sitting here thinking of all the wood signs I wanna make:)Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Great job, I really like the sign!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, what a great inspiration you have been. thanks.
    and
    Thank you for linking up to our wwHop9 :) at www.craftyspices.com
    Happy Wednesday !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! I can't wait to try it with some of my pictures. Thanks for the inspiration & tutorial.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of these! Great job as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished an almost identical project (but making coasters). FYI, I think you've forgotten to include a step in the tutorial. Between steps 5 and 6, don't you wet the paper and rub it off, thereby exposing the picture below? Figured I'd let you know in case people try this and get a bit confused on what to do after gluing the picture down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't miss a step. Thanks though for trying to help :) That is how I make my subway art and photos on wood. I print it on card stock so if I were to wet it down, it would smudge and run the ink all together. Do you use actual photos? Or print it on photo paper? I

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh! I love it! The Nauvoo temple is just stunning! This would make an excellent Christmas gift!!

    I'd LOVE if you'd link this up to my link party going on now!

    XOXO, Mallory @ Classy Clutter

    http://www.classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/10/spotlight-saturday-34.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. The commenter above is used to reverse Mod Podge. You used the regular method which I find to be just as effective as the transfer. This is evident from the beautiful result with the temple picture. I love Pic Monkey for aging photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I love using cardstock because photo paper always smears when I use Mod Podge. Lovely picture too!! Hugs, Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial! I like how you have put everything on the shelf, looks really beautiful! I came here from Uncommonly Yours link party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great tutorial! I love this! Found you from Pincushion Creations Wednesday link party!

    Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations
    http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes awesome!! I will definitely be doing this, thanks for the tutorial, great job :)
    Blessings,
    Jacy
    www.artbyjacy.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I was wondering if it's ok if I use your picture to make handouts for my YWs... I am hoping it's ok because I already made them ;);) and here is the pictures of it. http://gogoastill.blogspot.com/2012/11/yw-lesson-38.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these!! Great idea and they look wonderful! Thanks for sharing and so glad I found your blog!! Hugs & Smiles!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...