Jun 11, 2012

father's day gift {race track t-shirt}

This tutorial is available in my eBook "Top 20 Crafts from: The Winthrop Chronicles" buy your copy HERE
Danny loves to play with the kids when he gets home from work. He talks about how his dad used to play a game with them where he pretended to be an opossum sleeping on the ground and the kids had to see how close they could get to him without waking the "opossum" up. In the meantime, his dad could get a little rest while the kids had a good time. Sometimes when I am sore from running, the boys will play "steam roller" where I lay on my stomach and they roll over my back to make me "flat like a pancake." I, in the meantime get a nice back massage. So here is an early Father's Day gift we made for Danny. It is a race track t-shirt. So the boys can play with their cars, while Danny gets a little rest.
to make:
first. Get a plain t-shirt, some freezer paper and some fabric paint.
second. Draw a pattern on the non shiny side of the freezer paper (I did mine in pencil so that I could make changes and then just traced it with black marker)
third. Put the freezer paper inside the shirt (you want to make sure you are painting on the BACK of the t-shirt) I also had some newspaper under the freezer paper, but you really don't need that.
fourth. With a thin paint brush, trace the lines of the race track. You can see the lines right through the t-shirt, so it was easy to just paint right over it. It took me probably an hour to paint the whole shirt. Then after I painted the black lines, I just filled the buildings and trees in with a little color.



25 comments:

  1. Awesome! My hubs (and kids) would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute--I can see this working in a classroom with kids creating their own maps and racing away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hopefully they won't start having drag races and crashes...Danny might not get too much rest!! Really cute idea though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute and awesome idea! I think I'll have to make one of these once my son is old enough.

    -Ashley
    http://distractedashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is not only brilliant and creative. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I somehow seeing my girls fighting over the roads, but it's the thought that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea! Just love that dad gets to play and rest all at the same time!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome idea! I'll have to make one of these for my hubby when my daughter is older!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this on pinterest. I'm going to do this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! This is such a great idea!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. we have joked about making this... my kids love to drive on dad! but, YOU actually did it. Way to go, super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AMAZING IDEA! I'm in love. My husband is sitting right next to me and thought it was a "sweet shirt" :) I'm going to copy you and make this for Grandpa!

    Sarah
    pampereddaughterthriftywife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!!!

    http://www.thechirpingmoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you made this! It turned out so great! I"m sure Danny loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome idea! Featuring it tomorrow on my blog... Thank youso much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea! We are making Dad a shirt for Father's Day too. I might have to bookmark this idea for next year. :)crafty-biggers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! What a great idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great way to engage the kids and their dad on a special day like this. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bwahaha, this is a lovely fathers day gift! Not only that dads would enjoy, but as well as the kids lol! Bonding time while dad sleeping?:D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Forster Racing School has been involved in various festivals including Stag Activity the prestigious Goodwood Festival of Speed, where we give visitors the opportunity to experience first hand the thrill of riding in a Rage Buggy, which can not only handle like a world rally car but accelerates from 0-60 in under 4 seconds while having the ability to take off over jumps.

    ReplyDelete
  21. my son would love this so much he loves playing cars with daddy and it would be so perfect for my son and his daddy my son alway drving cars on our laps arms and backs so it would be perfect

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...